Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Colours

People that know me are aware that I don't like hot weather.  I am always so glad when the cooler weather arrives and I can go for walks or sit outside without fear of sunstroke.  Even being in the house is more pleasant.  This is the time of year when we do all those chores that got delayed because it was too hot, too rainy, too buggy or we were too busy.
This week we completed two of those jobs.  The wood around the bottom of the house needed another coat of paint and the addition that my husband built also needed doing.  Yesterday we got the smaller job finished and today we did the addition.  Our house isn't very big and that little mudroom sticking out one side reminded me of a wart. (That isn't a reflection on my husband's capable work but more the way my imagination works).  Now that it is the same colour as the rest of the building, it blends in and looks very nice.
Colour has such an impact on everything we do.  As a quilter, much of the my preplanning involves colour choice.  I will often  change my mind about the border after I have it sewn on because I don't like the way the colour looks.  One of the ladies in our quilt group told us that she removed a row of fabric that she had put around dozens of blocks because she didn't think the colour was right.
Colour is very subjective.  I favour autumn tones while another friend prefers brighter more vibrant colours.  Many quilters like the combination of blue and yellow while I would rather use brown or a purple shade with either of them.  I used to have a problem with blue and green being paired but, depending on the shades, I now with use them.
This is the time of year when we especially appreciate the colour that surrounds us.  Many of the leaves have either faded to shades of yellow or are on the ground but there are still glimpses of the glory that brought hundreds of tourists to our area. I hope you had a chance to enjoy the colour in your community.
Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment