Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Turtles and Hummers

It is a lovely day here in the backwoods.  It is going to be quite warm and humid but it hasn't got to that point yet.  The majority of the bugs have gone to wherever they go so I was able to take the dog for a walk this morning without looking as though I was getting ready for desert combat.
I did some weeding in the veggie and flower gardens before coming in to tackle the house work. I can now feel quite justified in staying in the quilt room for the rest of the day or at least until it is time for the next meal.
We have hung a hummingbird  feeder just outside the studio window and it is lovely to watch the tiny creatures flitting back and forth as I sew.  We have two others set up and I wasn't sure that a third would be used.  I didn't have to worry.  We  have quite a flock of hummers and they seem to feed all day.
We saw an interesting sight on the weekend.  My husband was chatting with me while I was doing some work on the computer when he spotted a smallish turtle coming down the road from the back of the property.  She made her way to the side of the parking area and started digging.  It was then we noticed a second turtle that was already there.  After they got the ground sorted out, they both started laying eggs.  It took them about an hour and then, first one and then the other treked back toward the pond.
I am not sure how long it takes turtle eggs to hatch but we are going to keep an eye on the area.  It will be quite interesting to see the little ones start their own trek.
Have you entered the shoofly contest and, if so, is your entry on its way?  The contest closed last month and your submission has to be here soon.  Let me know if you did send a block so I can watch for it.
Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment