Thursday, March 15, 2012

A Safe Place

Keeping Watch
We have had a herd of deer bedding close to the house for over a week.  There are about half a dozen of them and they gather on a little knoll near the chicken coop.  There are probably wolves roaming around at night and they feel more protected here plus there is less snow and access to the driveway so they have a better chance of escape.  It is interesting that they seek security by getting closer to one of their predators.  I am convinced they know when it is hunting season and realize they are in no danger from us.
Although the pond is still frozen, we have had a couple of ducks land on its edge.  Perhaps they are looking for a nesting spot and getting a jump on the other waterfowl. We are watching for the return of our blue heron as well as hoping our resident beaver is still that-in residence.
We had some lightening last night but no thunder and thunderstorms are predicted for today.  Right now, however, the sun is shining brightly, my husband is cutting wood and the dog is sitting on my sewing table watching the activity.  I still don't have enough energy to do much and am getting a bit stir crazy. Poor Heidi is also missing her walks.  I hope that I will be able to start short ones again next week.
Blessings,

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you are feeling better and getting stronger each day. How lucky you are to see the deer so close to you. I sometimes see one or two deer on the drive home. In the evening. I think they are beautiful creatures.

    ReplyDelete