Tuesday, April 10, 2012

How Many Grams?!!!

Yesterday, during lunch at quilt group, one lady gave us some facts about sugar consumption.  She was saying that our daily intake shouldn't exceed 4 teaspoons which seemed like a pretty easy restriction.  She then added that you could figure out how many teaspoons you were consuming by taking the number of grams and dividing by 4.  Therefore 32 grams would be 8 teaspoons. 
This morning I started reading packages.  One-tenth of a lemon pie is 32 grams-1/10th!  Yuck.
I was going to have some of that pie for supper but now I think I may leave the crust and meringue and just have a bit of the lemon filling.
I thought I might have remembered the information incorrectly so I did a basic conversion using a table from a cook book and one of my measuring cups.  There are 30 grams in an ounce. 1 oz = 2 tbsp or 8 tsps.  This is just a rough conversion and those of you who are mathematical may be able to do a better job.
I don't think I am going to be able to keep to just four teaspoons of sugar daily but if I can cut back to that amount of added sweetness it will be a good start.
I have probably ruined your meals for the day or sent you screaming for a deep friend chocolate bar.  I am going to try not to restrict myself to chewing on celery sticks and be sensible.  I am going to try and get more exercise by doing more quilting today.  We are getting a bit of drizzle so I won't have any choice but to stay tied to my machine! Have a good day and get away from that chocolate sundae.
Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment