Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Keeping Pets Comfortable

My Kennel Quilts
I love animals.  There have been very few times in my life when I haven't had either a dog or a cat and usually both.  If you are a regular reader, you know that my current fur child is a white westiepoo (West Highland Terrier/Poodle cross) who adds a great deal of joy to our lives.
It hurts me to know that not all animals are as well cared for as mine and I do what I can to help alleviate that situation.  This month, Island Batik fabrics  gave the Ambassadors the challenge of making some little mats that can be used in crates to make them more comfortable.  We often hear on the news of people being evacuated from their homes because of natural disasters but we sometimes forget that many of those people have pets.  Agencies such as the SPCA provide care and housing for them until things return to normal.  These pets are usually kept in crates during this time. 
The Kennel Quilts donated to the Petfinder Foundation are passed onto the needed areas.  Here in Canada, many went to assist the pets
owned by those evacuated in the dreadful Fort McMurray fire.
If you are a quilter, consider making some mats to donate to your shelter to make the animals more comfortable while waiting for their forever home. Here is a link to a Canadian guild that will give information on how to make the quilts. www.mississaugaquiltersguild.ca/kennel-quilts.html

I am so pleased that Island Batik (www.islandbatik.com) has added their support to animals in distress.  I hope you like my little mats.  They were machine pieced and appliqued.  The binding was done entirely by machine as well to make them extra sturdy.
Blessings,


1 comment: