Friday, September 25, 2009

A Day in the A Life....

It is another glorious autumn day. The sun is shining, there's a stew simmering on the wood stove, the bread is rising in their pans and my husband has gone to see if he can catch or shoot our supper. Doesn't that sound positively bucolic. It is all true, however except that even if Roger does get something, we will have the stew for our meal today.
I wish you could see the view from my studio window. I can see the road/lane that leads to the back of the property and the ponds. On one side of the trail, is our wood pile which is getting steadily bigger as Roger prepares for winter. Our storage shed/future chicken coop is beyond that and still further is our bus/guest house. On the other side of the road, the tractor is backed in amongst the trees adding its colour to the grey brown trunks. Surrounding everything is a multitude of greens accented by red, gold and bronze. As my window faces east, the scene has an irredescent glow as the sun shines through and on the leaves. Glorious indeed.
I think we are supposed to have a long fall which is nice but I also look forward to winter. It has its own beauty and is such a peaceful time of year. Once the snow arrives, I get to watch the deer and the moving shadows as the sun changes position throughout the day.
Do I miss the noise and traffic of the city? About as much as I would miss a bad case of the stomach flu.

No comments:

Post a Comment