Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Call of the Loon

This morning, just before I got up, I heard a loon's call.  There is something about that sound I have always loved.  It is such a haunting, lonely call that it makes your imagination respond.  Owls and wolves evoke the same response.
This bird seems to go by our house at the same time each morning so I suspect it sleeps on our pond and then goes to Three Mile Lake for its breakfast and to spend the day.
We haven't had any more indication of beaver life although Roger saw movement in the water yesterday.  It is possible that it was a fish or muskrat but we are holding onto hope.  We also noticed that some geese are in residence so our wildlife families are all returning.
Yesterday, I did a bit of yard work.  A few inches of leaves had piled up around the house so I raked them and put them in a pile near the edge of the wooded area.  It has been a long time since I have had to rake leaves.  In Edmonton, we had to remove spruce needles every year.  We had two huge trees and our neighbour had some that leaned our way.  It is amazing how something as tiny as an everygreen needle can clog up eavestroughing and accumulate so thickly on the ground.  And, unlike maple leaves, there is no use for them.
My sister in England has recently started writing a blog.  She lives on a large estate with a number of ducks etc. She is also an accomplished photographer so it is nice seeing pictures of the ducklings and reading about her daily activities. I don't care much for facebook, tweeting etc. but I do enjoy reading other people's blogs as well as writing my own.
Blessings

1 comment:

  1. Hi Anna,
    I use pine needles for mulching strawberries, raspberries, blueberries. They don't compost down as fast as leaves, so they last longer. We have plenty of both here [central Minnesota], pine needles, oak and maple leaves. I learned the hard way that pine needles as mulch in the garden have to be hauled away in the fall. Plowed under--nothing wants to grow the next year.
    Hope I can get this posted. Blogger sometimes won't let me.

    ReplyDelete