Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Cause and Effect

I have a very busy schedule today so just a quick thought.
A week ago, I read an article in our local newspaper about governments.  The writer said that rather than getting the government that we deserve, we get the government that reflects our values.  Therefore, if the majority of society cheats on its taxes, puts themselves before others etc, we shouldn't be surprised if our politicians behave in the same manner.
When I first read this, I thought there was a lot of truth to his idea and, in part, I still do.  However, which came first?  Are politicians apathetic because the public is or are voters apathetic because, despite their best efforts, nothing, politically, seems to change?
I suspect, as with all things, the answer lies somewhere in between.  All citizens/vothers aren't dishonest, apathetic or selfcentered and neither are all politicians.  Many individuals, whatever their position in life, still believe in honesty in all its forms. 
I believe that we can't ignore the fact that there are people who prey on others but if we focus only on them or believe that they are the majority, then we are the losers.  We will not see or enjoy the good around us.
Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment