Friday, May 14, 2010

Restaurants

We had a new restaurant open up here in the backwoods which has given us some excitement.  This has followed closely behind Tim Horton's making us a destination place for all coffee lovers so we are starting to feel quite cosmopolitan.  Little things  make a huge difference in a small community; public washrooms, signage,  nice restaurants.  Urbanites might not notice a new street bench but it can be the main topic of conversation for a week in a rural area.  Especially if the rural area is very hilly!
Being aware of small changes is one of the nice things about living in the country.  In the city, there is so much going on that little things like a flower growing through the sidewalk, or a fresh coat of paint on a neighbours house is overlooked.
It may sound 'quaint' but I can look out my studio window for long periods of time just watching the trees bending in the wind. Sometimes they are all still and then a few leaves will start to move, followed by a couple of the smaller trees and, as though they were following a conductor's baton, the rest start to join in. Not high drama, perhaps, but I prefer it to watching drug deals or vehicle collisions.
Blessings.

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you mean! For the past half hour I've been hearing turkeys gobbling. Before I got up I was looking at the leaves NOT wiggling. We've had so much wind lately that it's nice to see them still. Out my sewing room window I saw a squirrel jumping from branch to branch. Out another window, I got a glimpse of someting, but I'm not sure what it was, it was just getting light out. I only lived in a large city for about 2 years many years ago, but up to a year and a half ago, I spent 14 years in a small town. It's so much nicer to hear turkeys instead of cars racing by or sirens. It's nice to look out and see trees, and grass, and even brush piles instead of a row of houses.

    ReplyDelete