Thursday, June 16, 2011

Mistaken Identity

Yesterday, I wrote about a flower in my garden which I identified as a Sweet William.  A reader e mailed me and said she called them Johnny Jump Ups and one of my sister's in England said she called them Violas.  She also sent me a photo of a large display of flowers which she knew as Sweet Williams. 
As I lay no claim to the title of gardener, I have come to the conclusion that my flowers may be a number of things but they are not Williams-Sweet or otherwise.  I think I will call them Violas as that is a nice short name but I believe they are probably more deserving of the Johnny moniker.
They do tend to Jump Up in unlikely places.  I thought my neglect had killed some that I planted last year but, there they are, popping up in the driveway and other unlikely spots.  Not, however, in the garden where I had put them.  I guess the old saying of 'Grow whee you are planted' doesn't apply to flowers.
My sister, who loves gardening, has already bought a book on the flowers of Ontario in preparation for her move here.  I probably should get one also so I can be a bit more accurate in my identification.  It would hardly do for someone who has lived in Canada for most of their life to be out shone, flora-wise by someone who has lived in England since she was a child
(If that sounds confusing, here is the explanation.  I was born in England. Mom and I moved to Canada to join my Canadian soldier father.  My younger siblings were all born here.  Mom returned to England when I was a teenager and took my brothers and sisters.  I  chose to stay.  So the Canadians live in England and the Brit lives in Canada.  One brother moved back.  He is the only one living in his country of origin).
Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment