Friday, September 9, 2011

A New Contest

My work day went so well yesterday that I also had time to write up another contest.  It is on my web page so please check it out.  Nothing to send or buy.  Just a little creative thinking for this one.
I sent my column off to the on-line quilt magazine this morning.  Submitting your writing for another persons approval is much like trying on bathing suits.  You feel exposed, inadequate and wondering why you put yourself through it all.
Gene Fowler said, "Writing is easy; all you do is sit staring at the blank sheet of paper until the drops of blood form on your forehead."
That, like most humour, is an exaggeration but does show that writing is a work as are most things we do even if we call them a hobby.  Quilting isn't always fun.  Unpicking a row (or more) of stitches is not any quilter's favourite activity but it is part of the process.   I believe, however, that looking at a quilt that was the result of hard work and a few better left unsaid words, is far more rewarding than seeing one that is mass produced even if the stitches are all perfect.
Tomorrow I am going to the Bobcaygeon quilt show.  I have been before so am looking forward to the vendors as well as all the quilts.  I will be meeting some old and new friends which also makes the day more memorable.  I hope your weekend is equally enjoyable.
Don't forget to check out the contest at: www.arkangelcreations.org.  Rachel may not have it on until later so keep looking.
Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment