Friday, October 18, 2013

A Fowl Life

Our little poultry business got a boost this morning.  We have been waiting for the newest hens to start laying as the older ones are going into retirement mode.  We have only been getting enough eggs to sell to a couple of customers and that often didn't leave me any for baking. 
This morning as my husband went out to feed the flock and let them out of the coop, I said "you will be getting an egg from the new ones today".  He came back with two.  They are quite small but it is a start.  I wish I was that intuitive with financially beneficial matters.
And now I am going to rant for a bit.  I have been aware for many years of how laying hens in the big factories (because that is what they are) are treated.  It is one of the reason why I am so glad we are able to provide for ourselves and others.  There are, in fact, a number of people in the area who do the same thing.  Our hens are allowed to roam free when we are home and the weather suitable.  They are talked to, have plenty of room in their coop and enclosed area.  They are happy healthy birds unlike the poor creatures who are packed into areas so tightly that they literally, go crazy.
What can you do?  Where financially possible, buy free range.  Our eggs are priced the same (and sometimes less) than what is in the stores.  You may find another small producer that does the same.  We aren't trying to get rich just have healthy food. 
I think I am also going to send an e mail to companies such as Loblaw's and McDonald's asking them to ensure that the eggs they buy come from chickens who live in humane conditions.
I know that, in the light of the many thousands of people around the world who also live in dreadful conditions, this may seem to be a non issue.  However, I fully believe that how we treat animals is an indication of our compassion to humans.  A step, no matter how small, is still a step.
Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment