Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Little Chicken Brains

We have had another of those drastic temperature changes.  A couple of days ago we were back wearing a jacket and had the heat on at night.  Today, the air conditioning is on.  I prefer the cooler weather although the vegetables aren't growing as fast as they normally would be so, in the interest of food prices (which are high enough) we need the warmth.
I have started picking our lettuce and rhubarb.  It will be a while before anything else is ready other than our various berry crops, but it is nice to have something fresh from the garden.  I bought another flowering shrub today.  I am focusing more on the flower beds this year and have added quite a few perennials as well as the shrubs. Today's purchase was a pale pink hydrangea.  I have given up on roses.  They bloom beautifully the first year and die the next-or go wild.
Hubby has been going back to the chicken coop more often so the hens start getting used to him again.  They run and gather around me when they see me but tend to cower when they see him.  Those little chicken brains apparently are not very good at remembering anyone beyond a couple of weeks. We are hoping that by the end of the month he will be able to return to full duties.  He had his final x-ray today so the surgeon can see if everything is where it should be and doing what it should.  He has an appointment with him at the end of the month so fingers are crossed for a good report.
Blessings,

1 comment:

  1. We sure need more rain on the east side of Algonquin. Our well water is just too cold for watering, so I've been filling up large containers in the morning to warm up.The heat is sure jump starting all the growth in my garden!
    I'm minding my friends chickens this week, as I often do. I LOVE the girls and my friends are happy that they have someone who knows how to care for them so they can get time away. These hens don't seem to care who looks after them once that chute is open and they can run about.

    ReplyDelete