Friday, November 24, 2017

Gluten Free Cookies

Baking is part of the preparations for Christmas.  It is a lot of work but enjoyable to see the containers of cookies, pies and cake pile up in the pantry or freezer.  It can, however, be a challenge for those with dietary restrictions.  What do you make for the person who is lactate or gluten intolerant or a diabetic?
I discovered a few years ago that I couldn't properly digest gluten?  It was an accidental discovery but have felt much better since it was eliminated from my diet.  Since then, I have amassed quite a few recipes that I either found or adjusted.
I discovered that in many recipes, you can successfully substitute chick pea (garbanzo beans) for regular flour.  I sometimes use gluten free flour but it is expensive and doesn't work any better than the chickpea.

Some recipes don't need either and here is one that I was given.  I added a few of my own touches but they aren't necessary .  The ingredients include oat flour.  I buy gluten free oats and process them into a flour.
For the oat cakes, you will need,
2 eggs
1/4 c honey or 1/2 c brown sugar
 tsp . cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking powder (my version)
2 c. oat flour (original recipe called for 1/2 c. oat flour and 1 1/2 c. oatmeal)
 Combine all ingredients except oat flour.  Gradually add flour, mixing after each addition until consistency is that of a cookie dough.
 Cook for 18 min. at 325.

Here is my addition:  I add a couple of good sized tbsp. of molasses before the oat flour.  It gives the oat cakes a nice chewy texture.  Make aprox. 18 cookies.

Thank you to Kim James for the original recipe.

Let me know if you try this and what you think.

Blessings,

1 comment:

  1. I am gluten intolerant as well. My Scottish granny used to make amazing oatcakes.
    I went to a Christmas bazaar today and had a couple of gluten free samosas. That was the most marvelous treat I've had in a very long time.

    ReplyDelete